This is mine & Ollie’s standard winter breakfast. I make it gluten & dairy free but you can use normal milk & oats.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 80g (gluten free) oats
- 300ml water/coconut milk/normal milk
- 8 dried apricots chopped up
- Half a tsp of cinnamon
- 20g flaked almonds
- Honey for drizzling on top
- 2tbsp Milled linseeds (optional)
1. Place the oats and milk or water in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add a tiny pinch of salt, plus the apricots & cinnamon and stir with a wooden spoon.
3. Bring to a steady simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often if you want a smooth porridge. I prefer the oats to keep their shape so I don’t over stir. If you like your porridge runnier, add more milk.
4. Serve in a bowl with flaked almonds sprinkled on top & a drizzle of honey.
5. For a bit of a health kick I add a spoonful of milled linseeds sprinkled on top. Great for a sluggish digestive system. Linseeds can be expensive but I found some in Aldi (not the first time I’ve mentioned this shop!) & they are mixed with sunflower seeds & goji berries. At £1.99 they are a complete bargain & as good as any I’ve bought at three times the price:
There should be a picture of my bowl of porridge this morning, but as I ate it standing up while desperately urging (ie: shouting) at the kids to put their coats on, there really wasn’t time!
It is very rare that I actually get breakfast eaten before I leave for the school run. How other parents do it amazes me. What usually happens is that Ollie & I walk slowly home together after the mad dash, & I make us a pot of Lady Grey tea (he doesn’t get much say in this), and a pan of porridge. Much more relaxing doing it this way than eating on the hoof before we’ve left the house, although after school Ollie is usually cracking the whip on what is to be our next Lego challenge. No rest for the wicked.